Shuklaphata Wildlife Reserve was a hunting ground for the Royals during 1960's .It is therefore known was Royal Suklaphanta Wildlife Reserve and it is located in Far Western Nepal near the border of India, very close to Corbett National Park. The reserve is one of the richest wildlife reserves in Asia due to its pristine sub-tropical
environment. The open grasslands and numerous waterholes of the park extend into a vast expanse plain grassland and SaL forest, while marsh vegetation is found along rivers and lakes. Until recently it is a royal hunting reserve. The park is relatively remote and unexplored. In its 305 sq. km area it has Royal Bengal Tiger, deer, 478 varieties of birds and, one of the rare and largest known Asian elephant, spotted deer, barking deer, hog deer, monkeys, crocodiles, birds, cobra , python and manymore.
A stop at the Rani Tal would be an exciting experience. This small lake attracts birds and animals alike. Herons, ducks, storks, kingfishers and egrets vie for food and swamp deer wallow at the edges.
How to get there?
The reserve is accessible by the road as well as air. It is 515 kms distance apart from Kathmandu and will take around 12-13 hours by road. Access road to this park is convenient from Mahendranagar and Delhi. There are scheduled flight and bus services from Kathmandu to Mahendranagar. Mahendranagar is linked by road with the park.
Note: Oct/March (average temp. 25 degreees)
May June - Hot above 40 degrees
July to Sept : Rainy
- Short & Long Sleeve Shirts - Long sleeved is for protection from the sun and insects in the evenings.
- Shorts & Trousers - again, long trousers can protect from the sun & insects
- Swim wear for on the river
- Shoes - Comfortable trainers/shoes and a pair of sandals. You will need some type of hiking or safari boot if you plan on any walking safaris.
- Binoculars Camera
- Personal first-aid kit and wash kit
- Guidebooks, maps, etc
- Water bottle
- Insect Repellent
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Sunglasses (with retaining device) and/or a cap
- Personal medication
- Reading book