The Royal Bardia National Park is also known as Karnali National Park as it is located in the east of Karnali river which flows in Far West Nepal. It is an undisturbed wilderness in Terai (plain) section of Nepal. The national park was the hunting reserve during the Shah dynasty . The Eco-system and flora and fauna of the place will naturally captivate your attention. Like in Chitwan it has Sal, Savannah and riverine forest and grassland. This park was created by resettling the people to another area. Natural vegetation in this forest is now providing sanctuary for wildlife.
There are around 600, plant species, 50 over mammals , 500 over birds, 50 over amphibians and reptiles are found around the park. It is one of the few remaining habitat of Royal Bengal tiger and great one horned rhinoceros. Small herd of wild elephants are occasionally seen. There are scientific research projects funded by WWF (World Wild Life Fund) and international organization to understand ecology, behavior and preserve species like rhino, tiger and deer. There is breeding center for nearly extinct Gharials - crocodile. Tharus are an inhabitant of this place and the culture adds a distinct touch to the Bardia experience in a colorful way.
Note: Oct/March (average temp. 25 degreees)
May June - Hot above 40 degrees
July to Sept : Rainy
- Short & Long Sleeve Shirts - Long sleeved is for protection from the sun and insects in the evenings.
- Shorts & Trousers - again, long trousers can protect from the sun & insects
- Swim wear for on the river
- Shoes - Comfortable trainers/shoes and a pair of sandals. You will need some type of hiking or safari boot if you plan on any walking safaris.
- Binoculars Camera
- Personal first-aid kit and wash kit
- Guidebooks, maps, etc
- Water bottle
- Insect Repellent
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Sunglasses (with retaining device) and/or a cap
- Personal medication
- Reading book