Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is situated in the east and west bank of the Sapta Koshi river in flood plains of eastern Nepal. The area of this park is 175 sq. kilometers and is famous for near extinct wild buffalo (Bubalus arnee or Arna in Nepali).
The Reserve is a heaven for bird watchers. The park has degraded grassland, riverine forest, and wetland providing sanctuary for more than 400 species of birds, ibises, many storks, egrets, herons and endangered swamp partridge and bangal florican. The barrage on Koshi-river has been extremely valuable as resting-place for migratory bird. Its record shows many species of birds that are not sighted in other part of Nepal are found here. Koshi Tappu is best known for bird watching in Nepal. Gharial(Alligator), crocodiles and Gangetic dolphin have been sighted in the river. The unique backdrop of the Eastern Himalaya , makes it a beautiful attraction for the wildlife lovers and the tourist.
Note: Oct/March (average temp. 25 degreees)
May June - Hot above 40 degrees
July to Sept : Rainy
- Short & Long Sleeve Shirts - Long sleeved is for protection from the sun and insects in the evenings.
- Shorts & Trousers - again, long trousers can protect from the sun & insects
- Swim wear for on the river
- Shoes - Comfortable trainers/shoes and a pair of sandals. You will need some type of hiking or safari boot if you plan on any walking safaris.
- Binoculars Camera
- Personal first-aid kit and wash kit
- Guidebooks, maps, etc
- Water bottle
- Insect Repellent
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Sunglasses (with retaining device) and/or a cap
- Personal medication
- Reading book